Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Blonde Girl's Guide to: A Good Night's Sleep

I love to sleep. I think everyone that I know loves to sleep. It's that crawling into bed, first few minutes while the sheets are still cool and everything is SO comfortable feeling that you get. It's the relaxing, takes all your stress away, helps your forget about your To Do list kind of experience that just makes me happy and last night was one of the best nights of sleep I've gotten in a VERY long time.

I have a friend that I consider near and dear to my heart. They're trying to meet some personal goals and I've been lending a hand. This person also lives at home with family, like I do, and is having some struggles at work. Right now, I'm trying to be a supportive friend and help shed light on difficult situations.

Last night, my friend came over after work ended and we sat down for dinner. Brown rice and Salmon (simply grilled). Matt W. would have been so proud of us! After making dinner and cleaning up around the house a little, my friend and I went through some worksheet I had made to help them study for an upcoming test. Long story short, we got into an argument about what direction they should go in with their work and the personal skill set they'd need to be successful. We were blunt and a little rough, but real and most importantly honest. Honesty can hurt sometimes, but for once, I wasn't afraid to tell the truth. This person has some weaknesses and specific strengths. I told them exactly how I felt. Some of what I said was a little harsh. They had to take a step back, but came right back after a minute into the kitchen and gave me a big hug. We were able to fight and still care 100% about what the other person thought.

After dinner, I finished cleaning up my house, folded some laundry, and played with the dog. My friend decided to stay over, so we climbed into our PJs, crawled into bed and within 20 seconds of getting wrapped into the covers and finding the cool side of the pillow, both of us were fast asleep. It was peaceful. It made me feel safe. I slept through the night for the first time in a long time.

There are few things that are more intimate than spending the night with someone. This time though, take away all the assumptions. Take away all the drama. Take away all the sexually charged energy. Last night, it was just two people that totally trusted each other and wanted to spend time together.

I felt good this morning when the alarm went off. There's a simple peace that's been following me since I woke up and that makes all of the superfluous nonesense that goes on during the day just dissipate. I am happy and I hope to hold on to this feeling for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment